Friday, May 12, 2017

Graveyard-End-of-Year Musings, Part I

Once upon a time, there was a class of 8th graders, who got randomly thrown together into a new teacher's classroom.  She had only taught 6th and 7th graders before, and wasn't sure what kind of creatures she would find. She shouldn't have been surprised: there were jocks and nerds and artists, quiet ones and loud ones, ones who showed up in December or April and ones who left in January, ones who found joy in writing, and ones who found it a struggle.  It is the same everywhere, in every city and every state.  They were not special, these children.




But somehow, they all came together to make something larger than themselves or their little boxes.  At least between 8:05 and 9:35 AM Monday through Friday, anyway. Of course, sometimes they fit into the boxes, that's only natural. But sometimes, the boxes opened,  and they saw themselves, and each other, in a new light. Their teacher made them diagram sentences in the hopes that they would have a deeper understanding of language.  They wrote stories and poems and diaries and plays. Some they finished. Many they did not. They had book clubs. Together, they lived The Outsiders.  Even the ones who came later lived it, too, for they felt the 
effects of a group that accepts everyone. 


To the class of 2021:
It may indeed be true, that
"Nothing Gold Can Stay"

Try anyway.

That's gold, that right there.
<<<<<

Damn, I'm gonna miss you guys.

Stay Gold.


(PS>  You can also read Part II and Part III if you'd like. I finally finished them)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah my god. The feels. This year has been loads of fun, confusion, laughter, seriousness and sadness. The Outsiders taught me so many things about who i am as a person. Sue, where to start. You've always found some humorous way to make the whole class laugh and half cry at the same time. I cant thank you enough for being the absolute best and most teacher-enthusiastic teacher i have ever had!

Anonymous said...

Who turned on the waterworks? Not me I swear. I just want you to know that there is something huge I can take away from this class. Like sentence diagramming, not everybody can do that but I sure can. I know how things work in sentences. I can also play a game called, "how many comma splices can I leave in a story before Miss Spengler becomes really mad." The answer is a lot. I got to be a part of a book club that evolved into a book cult that will live forever. I also got a chance to have God Mode on the blog and tell people that they are wrong. I'm really gunna miss this class and it's experiences. This might have been the first class that I was super proud to be a part of. So good on you mate. Just keep being awesome.

Anonymous said...

Aww! I love this Ms. Spengler! Even though I'm not in this class, reading it was quite fun. The pictures are great by the way!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a year! These pictures really show what this school year was like. I love the way you incorporated The Outsiders in this!

Anonymous said...

Why do I look so derpy in the picture? I could only imagine what the people looking at us would be like posing in a graveyard for a picture.

Anonymous said...

This makes me feel like I'm part of something. Thank you Ms. Spengler! This writing brought up many of the memories we've had. I love how this class was more than just a class and you encouraged us to grow and develope and get out of our boxes. From the open mic days to testing days this class was amazing.

Anonymous said...

That was a very fun trip to the graveyard. Your class has been one of the funnies LA classes that i have ever had through school.

Anonymous said...

That was a verey fun trip and i hope next year i get to do more stuff like this.

Anonymous said...

I love English class and I always have, Ms. Spengler has only nurtured my love and understanding of the English language like a newborn baby. She will be remembered.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This means a lot to all of us. It is also kind of funny to hear you say damn! As always, great work!

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, I wish the teachers moved with us to the high school, but I know they can't so I'm very sad because of it, but I will come and visit.

8th grade a time of turmoil with all of the drama good and bad we take off to high school we were the top dogs of campus no we are back down...